Dornbaum & Peregoy has provided prompt and expert advice on immigration and nationality law to numerous Fortune 500 companies, corporate employers in engineering, financial, pharmaceutical, telecommunications, as well as emerging businesses within high tech industries. Our expertise in these matters involves issues that in-house personnel thought best managed by outside counsel either because of their complexity or the importance to the company of the individual involved.
We believe that our expertise and broad experience with such concerns provides us with unique insight into the types of problems that your company faces in determining how to proceed to obtain competent, cost effective immigration services, and how best to resolve them.
Immigration law is a complex area, due to the fact that the immigration laws themselves are extremely intricate and undergo changes on a daily basis. There is a continuous flow of federal court and administrative agency decisions that impact daily practice including those issued by the Board of Alien Labor Certification Appeals (BALCA), Administrative Appeals Office (AAO), Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA), Chief Administration Hearing Officer (OCAHO), and Executive Office of Immigration Review (EOIR). In addition, regulations are promulgated daily, emanting from various governmental agencies including the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Immigration and Enforcement (ICE), Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Department of State (State), Department of Labor (DOL), U.S. Information Agency (USIA) and Public Health Service (PHS). Finally, in-depth knowledge of the nuances of local practice, for example, differences in processing times and procedures between States must be drawn upon in order to render proper advice, make appropriate filings and take necessary action to achieve an employer’s immigration related goals.
Dornbaum & Peregoy is considered one of the preeminent law firms with a practice limited to immigration and nationality matters. Our special emphasis is on employment based immigration. Dornbaum & Peregoy enjoys a national reputation and regularly and expertly handles multi-state matters nationwide. The firm is has achieved Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards and is listed in ” The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers “, 1994-Present, under Immigration Law. This listing is limited to the top 3% of law firms that have received Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating. This rating is earned by only 11% of U.S. Lawyers. The rating is based on anonymous peer review questionnaires. Dornbaum & Peregoy is one of only a select limited number of law firms in New Jersey with a practice limited to Immigration and Nationality Law to receive this honor. Both principals have over 30 years legal experience.
Practice Group Overview
Dornbaum & Peregoy provides its clients with a full-service employment-based, family-based, naturalization, consular and litigation immigration practice. Clients include large, medium, and small businesses engaged in the domestic and international transfer of foreign personnel, including executives, managers, and other highly skilled professionals, and those individuals of extraordinary and exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, and athletics, as well as individuals seeking to unite with family members.
Dornbaum & Peregoy’s Immigration, Nationality & Consular Practice Group offers its clients a full array of employment based immigration legal services including both Immigrant Visas (“green cards”) and Nonimmigrant (temporary) Visas. Dornbaum & Peregoy also provides its corporate clients with legal services in conducting due diligence and risk assessment for immigration purposes, including I-9 Employment Compliance/Employer Sanctions and the unique immigration issues raised by Mergers and Acquisitions and other forms of corporate restructuring with regard to the employment of foreign personnel.
Immigrant Visas including:
- EB-1 Priority Workers Persons of Extraordinary Ability in the Sciences, Arts, Education, Business or Athletics; Outstanding Professors or Researchers; Multinational Executive and Manager Transferees
- EB-2 Members of the Professions Holding Advanced Degrees; Persons of Exceptional Ability in the Sciences, Arts or Business
- EB-3 Professionals with Bachelors Degrees; Skilled Workers
Nonimmigrant Visas including:
- B-1 Business Visitors
- E-1 Treaty Traders
- E-2 Treaty Investors
- F-1 Student Visas (and Practical Training)
- H-1B Specialty Occupation Professionals
- H-2B Essential Skill Workers
- H-3 Trainees
- I-1 Foreign Media Representatives
- J-1 Exchange Visitors
- L-1 Intracompany Transferees
- O-1 Extraordinary Ability Individuals
- P-1 Athletes and Entertainers
- P-2 Reciprocal Exchange Artists and Entertainers
- P-3 Culturally Unique Artists and Entertainers
- Q-1 Cultural Exchange Visitors
- R-1 Religious Workers
- TN NAFTA Professionals
Family-Based Immigration Legal Services
Dornbaum & Peregoy’s Immigration, Nationality & Consular Practice Group offers its clients a full array of family based immigration legal services including both Immigrant Visas (“greencards”) and Nonimmigrant (temporary) Visas.
Immigrant Visas including:
- IR Immediate Relatives of U.S. Citizens Spouses, Unmarried Children and Parents
- F-1 Unmarried Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens
- F-2A Spouses and Children of Permanent Residents
- F-2B Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Permanent Residents
- F-3 Married Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens
- F-4 Brothers and Sisters of U.S. Citizens
Nonimmigrant Visas including:
- K-1 Fiances/Fiancees of U.S. Citizens
- K-3 Spouses of U.S. Citizens
- V-1 Spouses of Permanent Residents
- V-2 Children of Permanent Residents
Consular Legal Services
Both Immigrant and Nonimmigrant Visas are adjudicated/issued at U.S. Embassies and Consulates overseas. Given the extraordinary bureaucratic delays of the Department of Homeland Security – Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (former Immigration and Naturalization Service) in adjudicating Applications to Adjust Status (to Permanent Resident) within the U.S., consular processing abroad of Immigrant Visa Applications often offers individuals and dependent family members a faster track to obtaining their green cards. Dornbaum & Peregoy’s Immigration, Nationality & Consular Practice Group offers its clients the resources to effectively deal with every U.S. consular post abroad.
Naturalization Legal Services
After obtaining permanent residence, individuals may elect to pursue U.S. citizenship through naturalization. U.S. residence and physical presence are required for varying periods of time depending upon how one obtained his green card in order to qualify. Other criteria affect one’s eligibility for naturalization often making the process more complex than initially apparent.
Our Practice Philosophy
Meticulous attention to detail, creative problem solving and a result oriented focus are hallmarks of Dornbaum & Peregoy’s Immigration, Nationality & Consular Practice Group. Our approach to work is always prophylactic – the most effective way to deal with a problem is to prevent the problem before it occurs. Often, careful planning and foundation building at the initiation of a case will ensure a smooth process on the track to the desired result.
We recognize the cost-value of time to our clients, particularly in the world of business where time and money are fungible. We strive to provide legal representation of the highest quality and value to our clients. The unique background of our staff and full array of Immigration Legal Services provide Dornbaum & Peregoy’s Immigration, Nationality & Consular Practice Group with the specialized tools to effectuate our clients’ business and personal immigration goals in a timely cost efficient manner.
We counsel and represent domestic and multinational companies, universities, research institutions, and
nonprofit corporations in the full range of business and employment-related issues. Our clients operate in diverse industries, including transportation, construction, financial services, medical technologies, software, telecommunications, manufacturing, consumer products, education, entertainment, import/export, and consulting services, among others.
We obtain temporary and permanent visas and employment authorization documents for employees; handle
permanent residence and naturalization applications; advise on immigration issues in corporate mergers and acquisitions; assist in obtaining work visa for employment in foreign countries; and counsel and represent clients concerning I-9 and immigration compliance issues, audits, and investigations.
The immigration attorneys at Dornbaum & Peregoy regularly represent clients before U.S. government agencies, including agencies within the Department of Homeland Security, State, Labor, and Justice, as well as numerous embassies and consulates abroad.
· Processing of H-1B petitions for third party off site placements
· Obtaining approval of blanket L visa petitions for multinational companies
· Securing J-1 and H-3 status for individuals training in the U.S.
· Securing O-1 status for persons of extraordinary ability whose work is in the national interest
· Obtaining United States permanent residence for executives, managers, and professional and technical personnel under the various employment and family-based immigrant visa categories
· Advising on immigration issues and the hiring and retention of foreign personnel as consequence of
corporate mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations, and stock and asset purchases and sales
· Obtaining approvals of alien employment certification applications under PERM filing procedure
· Counseling employers on issues related to the termination of employees working under non-immigrant visas
· Resolution of port of entry problems with Department of Homeland Security,Customs and Border Protection
· Representing clients before the U.S. Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division, regarding H-1
· Performing I-9 audits and conducting I-9 compliance training
· Representing clients before the U.S. Department of Justice, including the Office of Immigrant and Employee Rights Section, regarding I-9 investigations, immigration compliance, and citizenship discrimination claims
· Handling foreign visa and entry permits for individuals transferred by their U.S. companies to countries
outside the United States
· Advising multinational corporations on issues related to the transfer of non-U.S. citizens overseas and the obtaining of reentry permits for U.S. Permanent Residents transferred abroad
· Counseling clients concerning voluntary or involuntary abandonment of loss of U.S. permanent residence and citizenship
· Advising clients on the immigration consequences of criminal arrests and convictions, and on obtaining visas notwithstanding the existence of criminal convictions
· Handling citizenship and naturalization applications